THE BELLS, THE BELLS

The original peal of 6 bells was presented to St. Thomas' by Rev. R. Cattley in 1852. A fire in the tower on 11th February 1912 destroyed them. However, they were recast and replaced later that year. An additional 2 bells were added in 1926 to complete the octave.

In the church Year Book of 1928 - 29 there is an article which states that, 'the eight bells are cast of best quality bell-metal, copper and tin alloy and are accurately tuned to equal temperament on Messrs. Taylor's special "true harmonic" system, which, stated briefly, means that the overtones, or harmonics, of the bells are controlled so as to bear a definite musical relationship to the fundamental tone; this ensures great sweetness and purity of tonal effect'.

The note and weight of each of the eight bells is as follows :-

   NOTE                                          WEIGHT IN Cwt                                APPROX WEIGHT IN Kg

F Sharp

G Sharp

A Sharp

B

C Sharp

D Sharp

E Sharp

F Sharp

12 cwt   3 qrs     7 lb

  9 cwt   0 qrs   22 lb

  7 cwt   0 qrs     2 lb

  5 cwt   2 qrs   24 lb

  4 cwt   1 qrs      6 lb

  3 cwt   2 qrs      5 lb

  3 cwt   1 qrs      7 lb

  3 cwt   0 qrs      0 lb

651 kg

467 kg

357 kg

290 kg

219 kg

180 kg

168 kg

152 kg

The peal is hung stationary (i.e., not to swing) in a steel framework, and the bells are played by one person by means of a Chiming Apparatus from a manual. (See photos below)

Two of the bells bear an inscription as follows.

 

The one on the Largest Bells reads :-

A PEAL OF BELLS WAS PRESENTED TO THIS

CHURCH IN 1852 BY REV. R. CATTLEY, CURATE

OF THIS PARISH.

DESTROYED BY FIRE, 11TH FEBRUARY, 1912.

RECAST BY JOHN TAYLOR & CO., LOUGHBOROUGH.

ERNEST B. SAVAGE, VICAR.

H COWLE,

A. M. JACKSON, CHURCHWARDENS.

GOD BLESS THIS CHURCH AND PARISH

Whilst the inscription on the smallest bell reads :-

THE TWO SMALLER BELLS

TO COMPLETE THE OCTAVE WERE

PRESENTED IN 1926 BY HIS WIFE

AND FAMILY IN MEMORY OF

EDWIN CREER

CHURCHWARDN OF THIS CHURCH, 1919 to 1926

N. J. POOLE, VICAR

STANLEY CREER,

E. P. BROADHEAD,  CHURCHWARDENS.

Footnote

In The Manx Church Magazine of 1891 it is reported that the Rev. Richard Cattley was curate of Onchan 1851 - 1854 but was living in Douglas and assisting the Rev. W Simpson, chaplain of St. Thomas'. In 1852 his son was born and as a thank Offering he presented the Peal of Bells.

The report also states that two years later he, 'met with such marked discourtesy from a Customs House Officer on the pier, he could not contemplate the risk of a repetition - so left the Island permanently, although he was building a house in Victoria Road at the time, as a residence'.

 

He later became a Minor Canon of Worcester Cathedral. He died in 1903 and at the hour of his funeral at Worcester, one of the Bells of St. Thomas' was tolled.

Access to the tower
Ladder leading to the bell tower
The Chiming Apparatus
View of the Chiming Appartus wall and window
Chiming Apparatus Detail
Close up of the Bell Chiming Apparatus
The Bells from below
View up into the Bell Tower showing the bells and frame
The Bells and Steel Frame
View of the bells from above showing the steel frame.
Close up of a Bell Hammer
View of one of the bell hammers.
Largest Bell Inscription
View of part of the inscription on the largest (F# Bell)
Largest Bell Inscription
The largest bell inscription veiwed from a slightly different angle.
Show More

Video of St. Thomas' Tower Bells and Clock

ABOUT US

Welcome to St. Thomas' Church website. On here you will find all sorts of information about what we do and what's going on. If you would like to join us at one of our Sunday Services, a group meeting, a Summer Concert or just for a coffee, cake and a chat on a Friday morning we would be very happy to see you.

ADDRESS

St. Thomas' Church Finch Road

Douglas,

Isle of Man

IM1 2PL

e-mail

mfaragher@manx.net

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Google+ Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

©2017. St. Thomas' Church. Proudly created with Wix.com

Largest Bell Inscription

The largest bell inscription veiwed from a slightly different angle.