A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CHAPEL OF REMEMBRANCE AND WAR MEMORIAL.
The Chapel of Remembrance was hallowed by the Lord Bishop of Sodor and Man, the Right Reverend W. Stanton Jones D.D. on Easter Day, Sunday 9th April 1939. The money for the work on the chapel had been raised by parishoners in memory of loved ones lost during the Great War (World War I) 1914 - 1918.
THE LOWER REREDOS.
The Lower Reredos depicts the central truth of he the hope of the resurrection. The symbolic figures of St. Patrick and St. Thomas stand either side of the group. The frame of this lower part is decorated with carvings representing the flora of the Island.
THE UPPER REREDOS
The Upper Reredos depicts Our Lord reigning over us as Christ the King along with carved representations of the nine choirs of angels. The Seraphim are represented immediately above the canopy which surmounts the figure of Christ, thus carrying out the description in the book of Isaiah.
THE TESTER (CANOPY)
On the outside of the Tester the Shields of Arms associated with the 12 Apostles are carved whilst foliage from different trees found on the Island is carved on the inside. The three angels are shown holding the Arms pf the Diocese of Sodor and Man and the Shield of All Saints. The carved cresting above the Tester is a combination of gorse and sea-pink. The gorse is a reference to the land whilst the sea-pink relates to the fact that it is an island.
The bosses under the Tester are carved with images associated with important aspects of Island life and points of local interest.
* The Viking Ship is a reference to the Island's Viking and Norse ancestry.
* The Manx Cottage is a reference to the homes of Island people.
* The Runic Cross refers to the establishment of Christianity on the Island.
* The Plough refers to the Island's strong agricultural industry.
* The Spinning Wheel refers to the Island's historic spinning and weaving industry.
* The Gannet represents the Island's natural history.
* The Harp is used to represent the strong musical heritage of the Island.
* The Fishing Net is a representation of the Island's historical and vitally important fishing industry.
There are further references to the Island's culture and heritage with the Gull and Seaweed trail carved into the middle rail. The communion rail has a seaweed trail carved into the spandrels whilst the communion benches are carved with the emblems of Our Lord's Passion.
THE WAR MEMORIAL AND ROLL OF HONOUR
The Memorial Tablet was designed by the renowned artist Archibald Knox who regularly designed items for Liberty of London. It commemorates the men of the Parish and congregation who fell during the First World War (1914 to 1918). It was first unveiled and dedicated on Armistice Day, Sunday 11th November 1923 and was originally positioned on the west front wall. It was moved to its current location in the Chapel of Remembrance in 1939.
The names of those men from the parish who died in World War II (1939 to 1945) were added after the end of the war.
The Isle of Man Roll of Honour can be found on the small lectern in the Memorial Chapel. This has the names of all of the Island's young men who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. It gives details of name, rank, service, regiment, home address and the date and cause of death.